Monday, February 8, 2010

That Stubborn Boy

"Derek, we need to talk."
"What's up?"
"I love you, but I can't be your girlfriend anymore."
"What?!"
"I'm sorry."
"OK, those two statements don't work together. Either you love me, or you want to break up. Which one is real?"
"Derek, this is not what I want to do!"
"Then don't do it. I love you!"
"You don't understand."
"Then tell me, Nat. Help me understand."
"I can't!" (I break down & cry. He hugs me.)
"Nat, what is it?"
"I- I have an eating disorder."
"I'm sorry, hun. I'm really sorry."
"I can't get well. I'm going to die. So we need to break up."
"Nat... what are you saying? You can get well."
"No."
"You CAN. Because you are the strongest woman I know and because I will not let you die. And I will not let you go."
"Derek, I've had this for years."
"You have me for the rest of your life."
"What if I dont want to get well?"
"Then you have me for the rest of your life which won't be as long." (I laugh. I can't help it.)

2 comments:

  1. I've had this crazy conversation before.
    Boys are so silly.
    But they're amazing.
    And nice.
    And well, thats all you can really ask for right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too.
    my husband saved my life.
    try, even though it's like trying to push away the ocean with a fork, not to shut him out.

    ReplyDelete